AND

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bok Choy and Quinoa with Mushrooms


People eat and prepare food for two main reasons, taste or health benefit.  I eat and cook for both.  My constant search for healthy recipes never ceases and yesterday I cooked this up.  As usual I read a recipe I liked, found I did not have half the ingredients it called for so I invented my own.  This recipe uses bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, both vegetables I was experimenting with for the first time.   Full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants this recipe should not need any more convincing but it is also extremely tasty.

Mushroom Quinoa:

½ cup uncooked quinoa

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 medium onion chopped

1 head bok choy chopped

½ pound shiitake mushrooms chopped

½ pound portabella mushrooms chopped

1 teaspoon minced garlic

¾ teaspoon ground coriander

½ teaspoon pepper

Directions:

First, we are going to start the quinoa: Put 1 cup water and a touch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil.  Once the water boils, add quinoa, turn heat to medium and cover the pot.  When all the water has boiled away, about 20 minutes turn off the heat but keep the lid on until you are ready to use it.

While the quinoa is cooking, clean and chop the veggies.  Put the olive oil in a thick based pot at medium heat and add the minced garlic and chopped onions.  Saute for a couple minutes until the onion are translucent and garlic gets a brownish tint.  Now add the mushrooms and the bok choy cook for about 15 minutes.  Once the bok choy and mushrooms are tender, add coriander and pepper, mix it in. 

When you are ready to serve the dish, mix the quinoa with the mushrooms and enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment